Macro Madness

It all started with my mum's mobile phone giving her issues. As I was browsing through pages and pages of mobile phone reviews and Youtube videos, I stumbled upon a video that reviewed a mobile phone with a few other accessories.

What caught my attention was the so called "Macro Lens". What was speculation at first gradually turned into curiosity for me.

I was always fascinated with Macro but I never invested on getting any equipment for it. My photography was getting diversified but my pockets would not support
another genre. But this Macro lens for a mobile phone is something I or anyone else can afford.

So putting my speculation and curiosity behind me, I decided to buy it.





Upon revieveing the lens, I tested it on the phone directory just to see how large the text would display and how sharp it would be. I found it difficult to handle shake because I don't have any kind of image stabilization on my mobile. But when I did manage to get something in focus and free of shake, I had to be really close to the subject.

I am not talking Inches or as a matter of fact  even centimeters. Millimeters close is what I had to be to shoot.

You will not get many crisp shots for the effort you put in and you will end up spending a lot of time trying to get close to your subject, control your breathing before clicking an image.

All said and done I still love this lens. For 800 INR, this tiny piece of glass and plastic is phenomenal.

The cheapest professional specialized macro lens from Nikon will set you back about 20 grand INR. Lenses from Canon, Sony or any other third party lens manufacturer is not much cheaper.

I am not suggesting you drop your expensive professional gear and invest on cheap Chinese junk.

It is not easy to nail focus as some your subjects will constantly move. But with some practice you can get some beautiful super macro shots.

A few samples of what I shot. (Auto ISO and Auto White Balance)











Here is what you will not be able to to:

1) Focus Stalking. You are lucky if you can get a handful of sharp images
2) Aperture Control. You shoot with what your camera has to offer. All my images were shot at F2.0
3) Make large prints unless of course your mobile is Raw capable like the Panasonic Lumix CM1
4) Click images without casting your own shadow on the subject. 3.5mm Focal length!!!!! Beat that :)

What you get:

1) A sense of admiration and respect for these small remarkable creatures
2) Shit loads of fun.
3) A lot more cash in your pocket
4) Bokeh!!!!

Would I recommend you go and buy one? That depends... If you love creepy crawlies like I do, then you should.

There are a lot of festive season discounts on offer currently. Which reminds me, I still have not purchased a new Mobile phone for mum.

gauthamramnath@gmail.com
https://500px.com/gauthamramnath1


www.pugspawspaparazzi.com

Comments